The Greenfield Historical Society, founded on
June 25, 1965, is a non-profit, tax-exempt corporation that is affiliated with the Wisconsin Historical Society. Our purposes are to collect and preserve library materials, artifacts, manuscripts, and photographs, maintain historic buildings, and conduct educational programs pertaining to the history of the former Town of Greenfield and the City of Greenfield.
The Town of Greenfield, dating from 1841, occupied a 36 sq. mile area in southwestern Milwaukee County that is now bordered by South 27th and South 124th streets on the east and west, and West Greenfield and West College Avenues on the north and south.
The City of Greenfield, incorporated in 1957, contains 13 square miles of the former Town of Greenfield. The City of West Allis, Villages of West Milwaukee, Greendale, and Hales Corners, and the southwest portion of the City of Milwaukee occupy the other areas of the former Town of Greenfield.
(There are "Towns of Greenfield" in three other Wisconsin counties, and "Greenfields" and "Greenfield Historical Societies" in many other states, with whom we should not be confused by those seeking research information.)